It's Not Just About The Puzzle Piece

10/12/2016
I saw a beautiful scarf recently covered in puzzle pieces. I pointed it out to hubby that I would love this scarf, that it would accent my work outfits. He said buy it.....the money will go towards autism awareness.

I am all for "lighting it up blue", jewelry and clothing with puzzle pieces and donations to societies that fund research.

True autism awareness is not those things I just listed though, at least not to me.

It's explaining to friends why we didn't go to your child's birthday party at the dark, indoor mini-golf course (sensory overload).

It's seeing another parent to a child on the spectrum and giving that look like "you're not alone".

It's taking your child to a restaurant and dealing with the stares when he gets so upset over them not having his favorite food.

It's taking the time during all those instances to educate society on why my child is not like yours.

It's writing a blog so people can see the good times and the bad, so parents can have someone to relate to in a world that can feel so lonely.

So I will continue my donations, my puzzle piece shopping and my blue light bulb because if nothing, it sparks conversation.

But truly making society aware that I'm not a bad parent, that autism doesn't have a look and that I can't spank the "bad" out of him comes from being a proud parent to an amazing ASD child.

No comments