10 Things My Autistic Child Has Taught Me

11/17/2016
Raising a child on the spectrum can be tough. Some days I seriously don't know how we got through the day.

But each day we do.

Each day is a learning experience, not just for A but for all of us. It is not just his world but our world as well.

If he has taught me anything, it has been to never doubt myself as a parent......oh and these other 10 things below:


  1. You will learn you have way more patience then you ever thought you had. 
  2. You wear a pair of invisible boxing gloves because you are always prepared for a fight.
  3. Throw out all the advice from parenting books because 4 hours of television and 2 hours on the tablet make our Saturdays a lot calmer.
    Gaming
  4. Your child will not be harmed from eating pizza and chicken nuggets every.single.day.
  5. For a kid that hates loud noises, he makes a lot of them himself.
  6. Professionals know a lot about autism but no one knows my child like I do.
  7. People will stare. Take the opportunity to educate them on ASD.
  8. It's okay to worry about their future, just don't let it take over the present. Enjoy every moment.
  9. Watching him sleep gives me peace, knowing his brain is getting a little rest.
  10. No matter how hard the days get, how long the journey becomes, I would never change who my child is.

No comments