Educate Yourself

9/13/2016
I knew something wasn't quite right, something had changed.

A was acting different.

So I started reading. Some days this can be bad. You know those times when you have a headache and your seeing little floaty things so you go to Web MD. You have now diagnosed yourself with glaucoma, a concussion or an eye tumor.

In reality, you're dehydrated and sat up too fast.

This time my reading was good. It pointed to things like SPD, OCD and ADHD. Then I noticed the tics. In the back of my head I knew he was autistic. How could this happen all of a sudden?

I couldn't dwell on the how, I needed to focus on the "what now".

Once A received his formal diagnosis, I started reading as much as I could. Medical books, self help books, thesis' writing by pre-med students, case law and actual disability law. I knew that there would be people that would fight us, try and deny A services. I was just stocking up my arsenal.

As parents, whether your child is physically disabled, on the spectrum or neurotypical, you must educate yourselves in whatever effects their life.

It is our job to fully understand our children. Be a part of their school life. Their education. Their extracurricular activities.

Educate your self. It's the most important thing you can do in your child's life.





No comments