Why We Chose To Medicate

1/31/2017


You know, I was that mom.

The thought of pumping my child full of drugs scared me.

I looked into diet changes, therapy, schedule changes.

I didn't want my child to me a "zombie"......I didn't want to change his personality.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! Yup, that is me laughing now when I look back and realize my child was a zombie before we started medication. He had a personality that was mean, aggressive and miserable.

Have you seen a 6 year old destroy an entire classroom?

I currently do not have a toilet paper holder because he ripped it right off the wall.

I've run down the street, chasing a barefoot kid running away because it doesn't know how to cope.

Now, 10 months since starting his first medication (which gave him horrible side effects) and experimenting with different types, different dosages, I can say medication gave us our son back. He's not a zombie but a fun loving kid that is now able to enjoy life. His Ritalin allows him to focus in school. The Tenex helps with his impulses, OCD and anxiety. Have you heard a 7 year old say I want to die? I don't hear it anymore since he started Fluoxetine.

Yes, these are very heavy meds that we watch daily for side effects. But without them, he was a shell.

And it doesn't work for everyone. I am by no means a medical professional.



But I am a mom who was lost, watching her child in a downward spiral. With the help of therapy, IEPs, ABA and medication, Mr. A is thriving.

No comments